Tuesday 10 March 2015

TEACHING: THE SOCRATIC WAY

This reflection  is not classroom based, but one that took place in my office. I hope it is as near a classroom experience as possible.

This a very short form of the whole experience. 

I used this the Socratic method yesterday when a student came to my office crying because she would not be admitted to a university because she had not filled the forms necessary for this while still at high school.

I requested her to take a seat and compose herself. when she came round, we sat facing each other and I toned down my voice, developed an empathetic disposition and she immediately felt at home.
I started  by asking  clarifying questions to get her tell me more;
 Nellie: Are you crying because you did not fill the form?
Student: Yes
Nellie: why did you not fill the form?
Student: I did not have money
Nellie: You did not have money? what about your parents?
Student: I have been struggling to pay my own fees. (sobs)
Nellie: (offers a serviette). what about your parents?
Student:  (sobs louder) My mother is battling breast cancer! and my sister who used to pay my fees was diagnosed with breast cancer too!

 I started asking probing questions - to reason her out
Nellie: Can you tell me the reason why you are crying?
Student: I have no future!
Nellie:Do you think tears will solve the problem?
Student: No
I gave her three view points:
Nellie: What if we looked at your future in this way?
             !. Admission to a tertiary institution
             2. Loosing one year and re applying to university
             3. linking up with a friend in one of the private universities to engage you in a
                 programme for brilliant but poor students
Student: (Smiles hopefully) I will take the last option

I fixed an appointment for her and off she went to see the Dean of this university.

By approaching the problem using the Socratic method I found myself:

  1.   Challenging  the girl's accuracy and completeness of thinking in a way that helped her move towards her ultimate goal- education. She came to my office in tears but left with a smile.
  2. Challenging her to make her own decision not by authoritarian means, but through questioning  ( the three options)
  3. Challenging the girl through a constant progression of knowledge until she answered the original question: 'why are you crying?'



1 comment:

  1. Excellent Nellie. You don't have to be a teacher to apply Socratic questioning approach. You can do this with your children at home, too. If this is good for your learners, it is surely excellent for your children, too. You were on fire with that poor girl.

    ReplyDelete