Sunday 12 April 2015

3.1.3 Technology integration models: Their impact: My learning


This journey was the most challenging to me, having to grapple to understand the TPACK model, especially! It was gratifying to learn:

TPCK model presents the knowledge the teachers use to teach technologically enhanced lessons.
The blend of PK and CK translates into what to teach and the best way to do it. (PCK)
TK influences the way I teach; TCK is the knowledge about the appropriate tools for the appropriate content and how to repurpose these tools for other content areas.
TPK is how I teach with technology tools-
                 How I plan the lessons, implement them and
                 How I Pace them,
                 How I take the tutorials that demonstrates the appropriate use of a technology tool
                 How I set up the equipment properly and use it appropriately
All this will influence how I teach with technology.
The blend between TPK –selection of appropriate tools and TCK –the selection of appropriate strategies and activities to teach technology enhanced lessons is TPACK-Teacher knowledge about teaching with technology.
The TPACK model is realised in the context of the classroom.
On the other hand,
Technological Knowledge is always changing and influencing how I describe CK and PK.

What does it mean for me as a teacher? How do I develop my TPACK?
I have to STRIVE to understand technology enhancement CK and technology enhancement PK
In order to be able to teach with technology, I need a familiarity with the tools that can enhance the content TCK and to teach with the tools in a classroom setting TPCK.
Find out activity types that can be used in lesson planning and how these integrate into binding what to teach and how to teach it.
I need to learn with the tools so that I can see how to teach with the tools TPK
Building the TPACK knowledge is building my knowledge to teach effectively with technology

What will help me to realise this?
I have to build a digital portfolio (starting today).
I have to build my own positive digital footprint.

Why? What is my litmus test?
As a teacher who teaches with technology, I have to demonstrate how I will help my digital learners tap into their own skills for learning purposes.

The SMAR model:
Augments the TPACK model to help me ascertain how to implement of various tech tools in the classroom.
Helps me evaluate my use of a particular tool as technology continues to transform me and classroom.

S- Substitution - The lowest level of technology integration or, where a classroom product is merely substituted in technology with what one could have done with pen and paper. Think using a word processor to type a report instead of hand writing it.
 A – Augmentation - some type of technology that adds value to the assignment is added. Think a spell checker, grammar checker, or electronic dictionary added to the typed report above. Then comes
M – Modification - a significant amount of the work has to be done using technology. Students write a report or create a newsletter using digital pictures and some kinds of newsletter template.
R- Redefinition - the assignment is transformed. Instead of a book report, students create an animation or cartoon that they write, film and distribute.
The  link to the pin  below showing the  pedagogy wheel  illustrates the SAMR model.

 https://www.pinterest.com/pin/213921051025822739/

I chose the oval shape because the SAMR cannot be read hierarchically or be used as a way to look down on other less tech savvy teachers. At different times in the classroom the substitution level of technology implementation can be just as valuable as the redefinition level. Indeed, a redefinition of a task may later turn out to be less valuable than the original task. In addition, many teachers are already teaching at high levels even before technology tools are used in the classroom.

Benefits of SMAR and TPACK models for Uganda?
 Teachers will begin to think of planning their lessons based on what are the needs, learning styles, current trends and interest of the students and not just the benchmarks or the curriculum. So far our schooling system asks for attainment of the prescribed content and knowledge by each child in the form of Standards and Benchmarks. Some of which may not be applicable to a child’s interest and future needs.

TPACK and SMAR correlate very well with Webb’s Depth of knowledge guide which helps the teacher  use the appropriate verbs to describe  students’ activity (role),teachers’ activity (role)  from the level of understanding to the level of analysis and synthesis. All these tasks are in relation to Bloom’s taxonomy of thinking (see diagram above) and also, the three domains that support learning: the cognitive, the affective and the psychomotor domains.

This is very exciting because I am experiencing scaffolding of learning. Technology is here to help me make better what I already know. CK, PK - out of my classroom experience and a little TK out of curiosity and interest. Building my digital portfolio starts now. I am unstoppable!

I love these quotes:

‘Technology in the classroom must support four key components of learning: active engagement, participation in groups, frequent interaction and feedback, and connection to real-world experts. The focus in each lesson or unit is the curriculum outcome, not the technology itself.”

“Integrating technology with the curriculum fosters creativity, which, in turn, can lead to classrooms where engagement is nourished and learning enhanced.” Goddard (2002)

 “Students’ needs have changed but we typically have the @21st Century students being taught by 20th Century teachers in the 19th Century schools.”




6 comments:

  1. Well done Nellie. I like that stuff of benefits of SMAR and TPACK models in our country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Okullo its is very true technology is changing our way of teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it has done it and it will always do. a saying if you don't change, change will change you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Presentation Nellie, indeed you are unstoppable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nellie, all I can say you have educated me about SAMR AND TPACK more. We stated a journey that is becoming more and more interesting every day and we are unstoppable. Wu I like that courage. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said Florence, although the image is not visible, i guess it should be presenting the hierachy that involves, knowledge at the base, comprehension of the knowledge, application of the knowledge, analysing the knowledge, synthesizing it and making its evaluation. Therefore, the Blooms taxonomy seems to be in cognizance with the two models you have described above.

    ReplyDelete