Sunday 16 October 2016

7.1 LEARNING SPACE AND LEARNING ENVIRONMENT



While engaging in this activity my companion was the task, my computer, the tutorial, my phone and myself. ‘Far away’ were the tutor and my fellow course mates. I worked largely with the first three and less obviously with the last two. I started working in Kampala and carried my laptop and WIFI along to Lira (up country) where I am now writing this.

What then is a learning space? Is it different from a learning environment?  I needed learning space-(Physical) someplace anywhere where I could sit and work freely with concentration. This space also included having a laptop (hardware and software), electricity and a reliable network.

I would not have successfully produced the video annotation if the learning environment was not conducive: the factors that influence learning - learning resources and technology, means of teaching and modes of learning (the CCTI platform), and connections to societal and global contexts, human behavioral and cultural dimensions, including the vital role of emotion in learning. Therefore, Space becomes environment when it is stretched to include a broader sense of place, as well as the people who participate and the culture in which these elements are situated. The idea of environment invites a wider range of participants: administrators of various levels and functions, faculty, guest experts, librarians, IT staff, instructional designers, and learning theorists and researchers. The term implies a multiplicity of players, forces, and systems interacting. Environment is dynamic—changing in response to influences from outside or arising inside.

In doing all this I became a producer of knowledge, my skills of critical thinking and creativity were stretched taut, I collaborated with my course mates and shared my video on you tube. I conclude with this thought:  technologies and teaching methods will continue to evolve means that the job of creating effective learning environments is a journey, not a destination.

The lingering question here is: Is Uganda ripe enough to allow traditional classrooms change into a highly flexible production studio? 


4 comments:

  1. Thanks Nellie, you have defined well the learning spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallo Nellie, by moving away from Kampala and working far away in Lira you clearly demonstrated the principle that a learning environment can occur anywhere and learning need not be limited to the walls of a classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the transitions going on ať this rate will eventually allow the country get ripe, just give it time

    ReplyDelete
  4. An original reflection. Good one Nellie.

    ReplyDelete