Saturday 21 February 2015

Learning experience in class -To what extent?

2.1.4 
To what extent do I create learning experiences in my classes?

I am no longer an active and practicing teacher trainer. However, I will look back on how I used to train the teacher trainees at the National Teachers' college.

 To a larger extent, since I was training teachers, I managed to create learning experiences in my class.

The training curriculum has emphasis on integration  -across the curriculum, with co curricular activities,and with real life.

My lectures would take the following shape:

  1. I help students find a motivation for learning by awakening  their   insight- teaching  from the known to the unknown (build on prior knowledge) 
  2. I use pathways to learning (things that help bridge the known to the unknown: metaphors, experiences, etc.) and  provide  knowledge that addresses a need, solves a problem, or satisfies. 
  3. I concentrate in helping them learn  concepts and principles other  than learning facts or receiving information.
  4.  Lecture, explication, problem-posing -these have been my most helpful pedagogies.
  5. The lecture objectives for Literature in English and English Language is based on the development of skills and sub-skills. I  identify knowledge category (skill, information, concepts, principle, self-understanding, and lecture on concepts and principles (not information).
  6.  At appropriate intervals, I  test for comprehension and check for misunderstanding by use of  dialogues, question and answer, self-assessment, test for misunderstanding.
  7. I then share information, provide sources of information or knowledge, test for comprehension, test for misunderstanding using appropriate assessment taxonomy.
  8.  the most creative part of designing the learning experience is allowing the students to manipulate the knowledge by Interpreting it, enhancing it, diagramming it, depicting it, changing it, deconstructing it, combining it, illustrating it, interpreting it, modeling it by providing them with the appropriate experiential learning activity.
  9.  Plan intervals for revisiting and rehearsing core concepts by  designing multiple ways for students to revisit, manipulate, and apply the concepts at intervals during the course through rehearsal, memorisation and recall, association and application.
  10. Through  simulation, experimentation, application in context and  projects I encourage the students to apply knowledge  in the context it must be used, applying what they are learning in the "real world," outside the classroom while I provide feed-back on application.
Examples of tasks that I give students:

ROLE PLAY: Students take roles of various characters in a case study and act out the parts.
Project work: Prepare files for school practice, Prepare a mock lesson and teach a mock
                               classroom.
Group work: prepare and present a character analysis or theme in a text.

School Practice: the immersion into the real world of school that prepares the student in
                              making the transition from trainee to professional.Student teachers are
                            exposed to experience the complexities and richness of the reality of being                              a teacher.                             



No comments:

Post a Comment