Friday 20 February 2015

Experiences of True Learning

Sylvia Bahiga's experience
Learning the language was a difficult process.
Learning is a cyclic process.
The more she interacted with the learning material, the more she learnt.
She had a positive attitude towards learning
She was not shy to accept corrections and constantly laughed at herself.
She was open minded, friendly and persistently experimented with the language
She developed her own learning style- looking up difficult words, listening to music, watching soaps,was totally immersed in the language learning environment.
Her colleagues were prompters and the school provided a conducive learning environment.
In the end, she mastered the language, she is very happy and very confident since she is able to share her experience.

My Experience
Having to make a video documentary was the most daunting task that I have undertaken so far.I had little or no knowledge about making videos, shooting pictures, editing, making the voice over,writing the sub titles, making the video tell a complete story in itself in an interesting and engaging manner.

However, I set myself to it and made my first video documentary.
I widely  read around the subject, sifting information and noting what was pertinent. I then embarked on the actual production process, making many mistakes,doing, re doing, undoing, reconstructing;persistently giving it a lot of time. In so doing, I kept learning more and more.

Despite this, I consulted the tutor and other participants and the activities undertaken augmented my learning, giving me a premise, a platform, a thrust! The sense of victory still lingers..... I remember the saying: "the tasting of the pudding is in the eating!"

There is a strong correlation between Sylvia's experience of learning and mine.

2.1.2
Gleaning from my experience and of my course colleagues in relation to the overview by Marilyn, learning  is facilitated by the following

  1. Who? -The learner

  • Motivation for learning
  • Open mindedness (Creativity, Flexibility)
  • Curiosity
  • Determination, optimism and effort
  • Learning style 
  • Desire to learn
  • Collaborative spirit
  • Reflective practice
    2. What? The content
  • Real life 
  • Thought provoking
  • Authentic
  • Well defined problem
    3. Where?
  • Classroom
  • Learning platform
    4. How?
  • Authentic Activities
  • Guided discovery/investigation
  • PLN
  • Tutors
  • Integrated assessment
  • Multiple sources
  • Reflective practice
 


3 comments:

  1. There is nothing impossible, Nellie. If your attitude is right and you are receptive to learn from others, you are set to succeed. You seem to be a very resilient person, Nellie. You never give up. There is Sylvia in you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallo Nellie, its wonderful about your video.I found making the videos for course 1 thrilling and they were that short!!! Indeed true learning is never easy but the end is worth it when you pat yourself on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hallo Nellie, its wonderful about your video.I found making the videos for course 1 thrilling and they were that short!!! Indeed true learning is never easy but the end is worth it when you pat yourself on the back.

    ReplyDelete