Monday 23 February 2015

Using my strength in my teaching


This quotation summarises the power of  using Multiple Intelligence

If we are to achieve a richer culture, rich in contrasting values, we must recognize the whole gamut of human potentialities, and so weave a less arbitrary social fabric, one in which each diverse human gift will find a fitting place.
- Margaret Mead
I rank high in linguistic intelligence-I love poetry, reading,working with word games, telling stories journal writing.

All my teacher trainees are training to be teachers of English language and Literature.This makes it interesting because it is most likely that we have some intelligence in common.

I will incorporate both teacher centered and learner centered activities:

 I will  use my linguistic intelligence to explain the concepts surrounding poetry  clearly and use appropriate language to aid understanding.The lecture speaks into the teacher trainees' linguistic intelligence.

I will encourage general class discussions which will  provide an opportunity for students to exercise both areas of their personal intelligences, as well as to reinforce the subject matter.

Through my interpersonal intelligence I encourage  Cooperative learning (group and pair work) giving the trainees a chance to exercise their Interpersonal Intelligence;  simulations and role plays  prepared involve Bodily-Kinesthetic intelligence, as well as Interpersonal and Verbal/Linguistic intelligences.

 By allowing  the trainees to read a poem, write about it and listen to one another's responses, I am fully exercising my linguistic intelligence.

Poetry is essentially song and is full of rhythm. Using my  musical intelligence I choose and use poetry that teach rhyme and rhythm.

I encourage them to use resources that will build their information seeking behaviour.
  • Encyclopaedia
  • Dictionary
  • Thesaurus
This is of advantage to the students in that it keeps them working together, thinking, inquiring, and generating new ideas.

Getting to know  my students' intelligences better

This I can do by means of:
  1.  Creating a student learner profile which I fill as I teach and observe the students undertake  various activities

 The questions are categorized under the five dimensions of learner identity.
  1. Biological traits
    • In what ways might the child's gender be influencing learning in the classroom?
    • Is there anything in the child's medical records that indicates a condition that might impact classroom learning?
    • Does the child have a learning disability?
    • Has the student been identified as highly capable?
  2. Cultural and societal influences
    • What is the child's dominant culture (or cultures), and how might it (they) be influencing learning?
    • How do you think the child perceives the role of the student?
    • If I were to ask the child what the word "learning" means, how do you anticipate the child would respond?
    • What might be some ways that I could support the child in coming to better understand the culture of the school?
    • If the child's first language is not English, how might this linguistic diversity enhance achievement in the classroom?
  3. Emotional and social influences
    • What are the socioeconomic circumstances of the child's family circumstances? What is the family's primary language?
    • What is the student's prior school history?
    • Does the student prefer to work alone or in groups?
    • When have you seen the student take on leadership responsibilities?
    • How would you describe the student's interpersonal skills?
    • When is the student most self-directed?
  4. Learner preferences
    • What are the child's strengths as a learner?
    • Under what conditions have I seen the child doing his or her best work?
    • What do I  notice about the environmental influences on this student's learning?
    • What activities does the child engage in after school or during recess?
    • If the child were to design a field trip, what are my hunches as to where he or she might choose to go?
    • What have you noticed about the child's preferred learning styles or intelligence preferences?
    • In what ways does this student most prefer to demonstrate learning?
  5. Academic performance
    • What have I learned from your analysis of this student's work, and how will this 
    • influence the design of future instruction?
  6. Other ways could be:


  • Examining past records
  •  Interviewing the child and/or parents
  • Engaging in structured observation of the child.
This knowledge will help me understand each student and treat each of them as  a unique individual.
How Can I use this knowledge to the benefit of each child?
Understanding the theory of multiple intelligence redirects my mind towards the following concepts which will help me meet the needs of each student:

  • Each student learning the subject matter in a variety of different ways  multiplies the  chances of successfully understanding and retaining that information.
  • Many student needs are met through this program. Their intellectual needs are met by constantly being challenged and frequently exercising their creativity. At the same time, their emotional needs are met by working closely with others. They develop diverse strengths, and they understand themselves better as individuals.
  • The students’ interests and developmental needs dictate the direction of the program. Such a model adapts to students, rather than expecting students to adapt to it.


1 comment:

  1. Great points Nellie. I wish I had the chance to be in one of your classes.

    ReplyDelete